Are you one to stay on-trend year-over-year? Wedding season is in full swing and our event planners in Boston have noticed a few key differences in 2018 weddings compared to 2017 weddings. It’s all about the setting, vibe, and decor, and at Art of the Event, we’re here to make sure all three aspects of your wedding are on point and looking flawless for your big day. We can design and coordinate any type of wedding thanks to our production and fabrication team, but it’s up to you to decide what you want your wedding to look like. Below are the most popular wedding trends of 2018.
2018’s Most Popular Wedding Trends
- Eye-Catching Escort Cards. Escort cards exist for guests to learn of their assigned seats at the reception. If assigned seating is what you plan on doing for your wedding, then why not make your escort card station really pop? Photos of you and your significant other with the table number on the back, seashells with the table number on the underside, and fake flower petals with the table number on the top all make for a creative and memorable experience.
- Ditching the Gift Registry. Many of our past clients love the idea of getting useful and much-needed gifts at their wedding, but they have also complained about how time-consuming it is to decide on those items and set up the registry itself. Instead, many couples are just asking for cash. This cash is then used to make a down payment on a home, cover their honeymoon expenses, or to even donate to a charity.
- Opting Out of Party Favors. You heard us right — many newlyweds said that they ditched the wedding favors in exchange for a more personalized experience for their guests. Couples are now choosing to parcel out gifts as the wedding progresses, such as offering sunglasses for an outdoor wedding, then a makeup touch-up station or flip flops for the ladies, and cigars or specialty sip stations towards the end of the night. Keep in mind that welcome baskets are still popular for destination weddings and out of town guests. Art of the Event’s designers can create beautiful displays for these guest items and amenities.
- Unique Entertainment Features. It’s not all about the single band or DJ these days. Couples are now hiring additional entertainers to keep their guests happy and interested throughout the night. From cartoonists to photo booth stations, to magicians or lawn games, we highly recommend having a few other activities other than a dance floor that people can opt for. Don’t forget that your event coordinator at Art of the Event can contact these entertainers and book them for you. With our production services, each entertainer will have their own stage.
- Mixing Up The Roles. It is always a custom to get the “first look” photos of the bride and groom, but this year first looks are going beyond just the star couple. We’re expecting our clients to want the photographer to capture first glances between bride and dad, groom and mom, as well as other key family members. The traditional “stag and hen” wedding parties have also undergone quite a change: these days people of the opposite sex will be standing on both sides of the couple up at the altar.
- Non-Traditional Venue Spaces. The venue is the first impression guests receive when arriving, and couples are trying to make a statement this year by opting for a venue that’s a little less traditional. Instead of hosting the ceremony outdoors or within a church, some are opting to rent out barns, historic buildings, museums, theaters, breweries, and other venues that are meaningful to the couple. Not sure if the space you want can accommodate a wedding? Leave it to Art of the Event’s wedding planners to inquire about the space and book the venue.
Plan your 2018 wedding with help from Art of the Event. Our professional event design company in Boston is here to provide you with the latest insight regarding floral trends, popular wedding cuisine, preferred Boston or New England area venues, and decor styles. Contact us today to request more information about our capabilities!