There are so many elements to consider while planning an event, it can become difficult keeping track of them all! There’s booking a venue, a photographer, the caterer, a DJ, coordinating the wet bar, and plenty more. But what really tends to tie everything together are the details. At Art of the Event, we believe that the appropriate floral design is essential to creating a fully realized event atmosphere.
Sure, you can opt for any flowers you want, flown in from all over the world, but by paying attention to what is and is not in season locally you can save money and often get the freshest florals available. Here are a few tips on what to look for during each season:
- Blooming branches are a wonderful way to celebrate the theme of a new beginning. In a corporate setting they may signify the beginning of a new business venture or merger. In social events they can symbolize new relationships and new births. Cherry blossoms have a short season but they are worth the wait!
- Tulips are always an option in the spring months. From March to May tulips are in peak bloom and come in so many different colors you can always accommodate almost any event’s color scheme… not to mention they are a crowd favorite!
- Peonies, ranging in color from fuchsia through various shades of pink to white add romance and sophistication to weddings and other social events. The local peony season, like that of all blooming branches, is short and it varies due to weather conditions, so always ask your designer to recommend back up options just in case!
Embrace the warm weather with exotic florals that stand up to heat! Orchids of various varieties, protea, calla lilies and gorgeous foliage pair well together and exude a creative and lasting impression.
- Summer is hydrangea season. This is when the biggest, brightest hydrangea heads are available which is why they are a favorite for summertime welcome receptions, Clambakes and, of course, summer Weddings.
- Dahlias, Gladiolus and lush, hanging amaranth are all in their peak in the summertime.
- Mix and match different summer varieties to add depth, color and texture to your event design.
Fall boasts a gorgeous balance of vibrant colors like rich red, burnt orange and golden yellow leaves with natural, muted textures.
- Organic accents are popular during the fall season. Embrace an earth-theme and choose strategically placed moss, fall-colored leaves and wood.
- Greenery as a theme is the perfect choice for those who want to keep things simple and natural.
- A “gathered from the garden” arrangement for your event celebrates the beauty of the harvest.
AotE floral designers recommend ornamental kale, mini gourds and pumpkins, bittersweet branches, pods and berries — all are interesting and complimentary to seasonal blooms like sunflowers, zinnias, mums and more!
During the winter months create an icy vibe by using a mixed-metals palette using silver-toned foliage such as eucalyptus, dusty miller, painted magnolia leaves, glittered birch or manzanita branches.
- Textured arrangements such as dark-colored flowers paired with wooden elements and pine greens are great for a winter setting. Adding white twinkle lights will transform your table into a winter wonderland.
- It’s always a great idea to add some pops of color against a more neutral-colored back drop. Adding hints of red berries to an arrangement placed on a white tablescape is the perfect way to add contrast.
Feel free to consult with one of our in house Floral Designers regarding your seasonal floral questions and requests!